That’s right: Neeeeigh!
I’ve decided that I’ll post the progress of this destined-to-be-logo-stallion layer by layer. That way we can all share in the responsibility for whatever happens. Like a team.
The first layer:
My plan is to multiply this genetically modified cat x100 and then make a coat:
I have been thinking a lot about multiples and pondering printmaking lately. In particular I’m interested in artists whose “original” works are as much influenced by their print practice as vice versa.
To this end I’ve been listening to webinars (you try living on an outpost island for more than 2 weeks without developing a raging webinar habit) with printmakers, publishers, and people like Dick Solomon of Pace Editions. And this has obviously dropped me down Frank Stella/Jim Dine/Jasper Johns/Agnes Martin/Chuck Close/Ed Moses-type rabbit holes more than a few times.
As a result of all of this I find myself experimenting with a suite of Logo Creatures that I’m developing in layers. For example the above Obese Logo Cat was done in two layers: first I painted the cat using a wash of sumi ink and then I did the second layer of “K” branding in oil paint.
So far creating pieces using this type of distinct layering has been strangely liberating – my paintings are always very layered but in a different, more traditionally painterly way where I’m constantly pushing into and pulling out of various layers to find form. I think part of why I find this more print-based approach freeing is because I have less control over it: a layer happens quickly and then I move onto the next layer rather than going back into the first layer and developing the form from that. I wonder how/if these two methods of painting will meld? How can these ideas translate into actual printmaking? I usually find answers through the process of creating so I look forward to seeing what happens as I continue on with my kitties, elephants (my what lovely tusks you have!), aardvarks and other denizens of the savanna destined for the fashion market.
I do best with seeing things in hand so ordered some prints from Endless Editions which just arrived and I’m now delighted to have in my studio! Nothing inspires like Al Gore.
Finally finished: my first fleet of fashion-ready snakes! Here’s a few examples of the finished creatures – just look at how happy they are writhing in the sun:
And think how happy the fashion houses will be now that they can order these creatures (of course genetically modified to bear their own logo) by the barrel! Production times will be whittled to nearly nil now that they won’t have to bother branding the skins post mortem. I look forward to being rich.
For instance look at this terrible, narrowly missed opportunity: yes, Gucci did manage to work their monogram in but what a loss – the whole bag could have been swimming in branding:
And worse. Poor Hermes, no doubt pressed for time, wasn’t able to work any branding at all into this baby bootie:
Of course many houses did fine but imagine the hassle:
While I wait for my first orders to arrive I’m going to turn my sights to the real challenge: fur. Starting with ‘coons. Or maybe horses. No longer will designers have to struggle to superficially incorporate their logo into fur pieces:
In the meantime I also finished another “White Collar Goes Black” painting. I did not shy away from incorporating Logo Couture into the doctor’s wardrobes, as evidenced here in this detail shot of a breeches and knee-socks combo:
This weekend was Sedona Lady Vacation and as expected much important work was done. We women got to the bottom of everything.
This was terror moment when the ladies tromped out onto Devil’s Bridge because they hate me. I’m not included in the photo as I’m obviously plastered against the rock wall trying not to scream, desperately trying to get bars so that I can order a helicopter.
Now that I’m back in the studio my work on Logo Creatures continues with new energy.